Oral health care begins during childhood. Early treatment, moreover prevention, is essential to the well-being and dental health of a child. In a holistic viewpoint, a healthy mouth means a healthy life. There have been quite a few questions about where to bring one’s child for dental care – a pediatric dentist or a family dentist and which one is better.
What is a Pediatric Dentist?
According the American Pediatric Dentists’ Society, “Pediatric dentists are the pediatricians of dentistry. A pediatric dentist has two to three years specialty training following dental school and limits his/her practice to treating children only. Pediatric dentists are primary and specialty oral care providers for infants and children through adolescence, including those with special health needs.”
Pediatric Dentistry, according to the American Dental Association, “is an age-defined specialty that provides both primary and comprehensive preventive and therapeutic oral health care for infants and children through adolescence, including those with special health care needs. (Adopted 1995)”
What is a Family Dentist?
A family dentist is a dentist that caters to your family’s dental needs. Some may have misconceptions about a general dentist as being an “ordinary one” but the truth is general dentists have the options to specialize and undergo further training.
Dr. Reese is a family dentist who serves children and adults. How is this different from a pediatric dentist?
Dr. Reese wanted to be able to do oral surgery, pediatric dentistry, cosmetics, and orthodontics without having to choose them as a specialty. With over 25 years of experience and a lot of professional involvement in the dental industry, he is an excellent choice for a dentist for your whole family.
Reasons to Choose Dr. Reese
According to Prashant Gagneja, D.D.S., associate professor of pediatric dentistry at OHSU School of Dentistry, there are some things pediatric dentists do better than family dentists.
Here some points he has raised:
- Pediatric dentists have the right personality for treating children.
- Pediatric dentistry places great emphasis on prevention.
- Pediatric dentistry also takes a whole-household approach to cavity prevention.
Dr. Reese meets all the points raised and more.
- Dr. Reese knows all about dental phobia, moreso when it comes to children. He has treated children for the duration of his practice and has developed the right personality, patience and charisma to make sure children have comfortable visits at his clinic.
- Dr. Reese is an Indianapolis dentist practicing integrative dentistry or holistic dentistry. He uses a minimally invasive approach to dentistry that considers the whole body’s health. Preventive dental care is on top of his priorities too.
- One advantage of choosing a family dentist to treat your children’s teeth is that he has better knowledge about your family’s history. He has more insight to your dietary choices and can better clue in what points in your lifestyle may need to be changed for the good of all your family member’s oral and dental health.
- His clinic, the Indianapolis Center of Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry, doesn’t look and feel like a clinic at all. It is more like a trip to the spa. This will ensure your child feels calm and comfortable when going to the dentist.
- Dr. Reese is also an emergency dentist. This means that you are assured of emergency care – whether you have a knocked-out tooth or a lacerated lip or tongue.
- Dr. Reese wants to provide excellent dental care that is affordable, reliable and lasting. This is also the relationship he wants to establish with his patients. He offers a 5-year warranty assurance program that enables you to have the best quality dental care you can ever have.Beyond what any typical dentist office or insurance program would provide, we will warranty our dental care (crowns, onlays, bridges, and even sealants on kids) for a 5-year period from the date of service. Because your mouth is a naturally “high stress” environment, it requires your involvement and commitment to our recare program.This warranty necessitates you schedule and adhere to the 6-month cleaning and check-up to provide the maintenance needed to keep your dental work strong and healthy. It is that simple! We offer this because we want you to understand that there is a difference in dental care providers.
Choose Dr. Reese as Your Family and Pediatric Dentist
If you live or have recently moved to Indianapolis, Greenwood, Shelbyville, Martinsville, or Southport, consider Dr. Reese as your family dentist. We serve children and adults with general family dentistry, orthodontics, oral surgery, dentures, and dental implants. We also do TMJ treatment, IV sedation, and home sleep studies. We are located just north of Greenwood, Indiana in Southport, just five minutes south of I-465 on US 31 between I-65 and Highway 37. View all of our services or contact us today by calling 317-882-0228.