Today, because of newer options, advances in dental technology, and increasing awareness of the importance of oral health, more and more adults are open and less scared to get orthodontic help. Adult orthodontics in Indianapolis comprises 20% of the population of brace wearers.
ADULT ORTHODONTICS VS. CHILDREN/TEEN ORTHODONTICS
Jawbones in children and teens are still developing so orthodontic treatment is easily done. With adults, jawbones have stopped developing so they may need to undergo surgery to align their jaw before braces are worn. This is not a necessary step – there are cases where surgery is not needed and adults wear braces right after the treatment plan is approved and discussed by the dentist to the patient.
Adults are also more likely to have gum or bone loss because of gingivitis or periodontal disease. There may also be cases of missing teeth that can cause other teeth to shift and tilt creating a bad bite or teeth to get worn down. All these make orthodontic treatment for adults require a different, more thoughtful approach.
WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER ADULT ORTHODONTICS
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth! Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- Straight teeth gives you a beautiful smile and this in turn can help boost your self-confidence.
- Braces can help manage some more serious issues, too, such as bite problems that cause jaw pain (TMJ disorder).
ADULT ORTHODONTIC OPTIONS
- Metal braces are the traditionally known type of braces and the most common. They are made of high-grade stainless steel and attached to the front of teeth.
- Clear ceramic braces are worn on the front of the teeth just like traditional steel braces. Unlike metal braces, they blend with the color of the teeth for a much less noticeable appearance.
- Lingual (or concealed) braces have brackets that attach to the back of teeth, so they are hidden from view.
- Invisalign is a popular option for adults. As the name suggests, this orthodontic treatment consists of nearly invisible devices that gradually straighten the teeth. One of our staff has used Invisalign to straighten her teeth. The aligners are easily removable for eating or brushing.
Customized care is a hallmark of everyone’s treatment at Indianapolis Dentistry. Dr. Reese offers orthodontics for children and adults and is happy to offer you an orthodontic evaluation to discuss your particular concerns and options. Drop us a call at 317-882-0228 or email today!