Do you know that lemons contain more potassium than apples or grapes? It is also as calorie-free as water.
The health benefits of lemon water are due to many nourishing elements like vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium phosphorous, proteins, and fiber present in it. Warm lemon water has also long been used as a body cleanser around the world. It is universally known as a natural energizer, revitalizing and refreshing the body.
When you drink it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach it immediately jumpstarts your body, revving up your digestive system and cleansing your body. You will also be able to receive the full benefits listed below. Drinking lemon water is one of the most substantial, yet simple changes you can make for your health.
10 Health Benefits of Lemon Water
- Gives your immune system a boost - This is because of the high levels of Vitamin C present in lemon water. Vitamin C is the first to get used up when you are stressed so taking regular supplements or lemon water will help.
- Excellent source of potassium - As already mentioned, lemons are high in potassium, which is good for heart health, as well as brain and nerve function. It controls high blood pressure, dizziness and nausea. It also reduces mental stress and depression.
- Aids in digestion - Lemon water not only encourages healthy digestion but it also relieves symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, burping, and bloating. By drinking lemon water regularly, the bowels are aided in eliminating waste more efficiently, curing constipation. Lemon water also acts as a blood purifier and as a cleansing agent.
- Cleanses your system - It helps flush out the toxins in your body by enhancing enzyme function, stimulating your liver
- Aids in dental care - If fresh lemon juice is applied on the areas of toothache, it can assist in getting rid of the pain. Massaging lemon water on gums can stop gum bleeding.
- Great for radiant skin - The antioxidants in lemon juice help to not only decrease blemishes, but wrinkles too! It can also be applied to scars and age spots to reduce their appearance, and because it’s detoxifying your blood, it will maintain your skin’s radiance.
- Helps in weight loss - Lemons contain pectin fiber, which assists in fighting hunger cravings.
- Reduces inflammation - Lemons are alkaline-formers, helping your body NOT be acidic, which is the state where most diseases of the body start. It also removes uric acid in your joints, which is one of the main causes of inflammation.
- Gives you an energy boost.
- Helps fight viral infections - Lemons are rich Vitamin C and flavonoids that work against viral infections like the flu and colds. Along with boosting your immune system, you’ll be able to fight off the infection completely.
A Tip from the Dentist
Because of how hard lemon water can be on the enamel of your teeth, it’s important to dilute it with water of any temperature (lukewarm is recommended). It is also recommended that you hold off brushing your teeth after drinking lemon water for at least 30 minutes to avoid acidic scratching of the enamel.