For some people, visiting the dentist can be a stressful experience. It is estimated that 35 million adults experience anxiety at the thought of an upcoming dental visit-and they end up postponing their appointment. At Indianapolis Dentistry, we want to assure you that we understand this anxiety and we're here to make your visit as calm and pleasant as possible. Here are a few tips to help you relax before and after a dental treatment:
- Tell your dentist and the dental staff you feel fearful, tense or anxious. Bringing your fears out into the open can help your dentist tailor the treatment and pace to suit your needs.
- Try to schedule your dental visit for a time when you won't be rushed or physically strained. You may find an early morning appointment is less stressful than rushing to see the dentist directly after work.
- Get a good night's sleep the night before and eat light meals the day of your appointment.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothes to your dental appointment. Avoid wearing tight collars or clothes that will restrict your movement.
- Arrange a signal ahead of time with the dental staff - such as raising your hand - to indicate you are feeling discomfort or need a break from a procedure.
- Listen to music during your treatment (we provide headphones).
- Try visualization-focusing on a relaxing scene from a favorite vacation spot and keeping it in your "mind's eye" during the visit.
- Tell Dr. Reese about medications that are available to help create more relaxed, comfortable dental visits.
We also have several different types of sedation dentistry that may help you stay calm or even forget your dental procedure completely. The type of procedure, your overall health, history of allergies and your anxiety level are considered when determining which approach is best for your particular case. Again, our number one goal is to provide you with gentle, quality dental care. Please feel free to call us today at 317-882-0228 to make an appointment!