Sometimes we take for granted something as common as the teeth in our mouth or the oral care from dentistry we've achieved after centuries of improvements to dental care. Here's 10 mind-blowing facts about dentistry to make you think more about it.
10 Mind-Blowing Facts About Teeth, Oral Care, and Dentistry
- Dentists like Dr. Reese are now able to 3D print dental implants specifically designed to fit your mouth.
- If you didn't eat any refined sugar you would be unlikely to get decay even if you never brushed!
- Tooth decay-causing bacteria can be passed along via kissing! This is how babies and children get bacteria from adults.
- Chemicals in red wine called proanthocyanidins have strong antioxidant properties that work to prevent bacteria from sticking to saliva and teeth.
- Americans buy 14 million gallons of toothpaste every year.
- Certain cheeses, including aged cheddar, Swiss, and Monterey Jack have been found to protect teeth from decay.
- The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue (relative to its size).
- Tooth enamel is the hardest and most highly mineralized substance in the body.
- Flossing once a day can increase your life expectancy by 6 years.
- People who eat apples are 3x more likely to have dentine problems.